Tuesday, February 26, 2013

10 things I miss in Nepal

While gentleman obsesses about his new wife, a Toyota RAV4 4 wheel drive Cruiser, I am going to obsess about my new goal; to find a job so eventually, I can find a new husband for myself, preferably a small and nice Volkswagen or ideally, any car which is very affordable. Things are changing everyday for us and there are many things different about this city for me, which is listed in the top three livable cities around the world and that only means, there are a lot of things I miss back home (and to counter-balance in all, in the next post, I promise to write of all the things I am glad I finally have access to in this city).

10 things I miss in Nepal

1. Bhat bhateni

Bhat Bhateni at Krishna Galli
-  I usually shop for our daily groceries here at Coles and I hardly ever have a rough idea of what taste better than the other. And I hate the idea of not knowing. I am not a keen explorer and I generally like to stick to what I am comfortable with best because I could possibly be one of the very few people who don't like much surprises. Unlike a lot of people, they like to try different brands, I don't. I go for one, always. At Bhat bhateni (where I usually used to shop), I could move with the breeze and even if I was blind-folded, I would know which products to pick and which not to and I miss that feeling of not having a doubt on my purchase.

2. Momo and open momo

Open momo from Ghangri
- Just looking at the picture is making me drool and mind you, I just had my early dinner. I was never the one who ordered momos in restaurants like many did. I always determined a restaurant's quality with the way they made their chinese chopsuey. But I miss momos, the ultimate comfort food and with momo, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

3. Fresh milk 

"Moo," the cow says 
- I say, milk the cow and bring the milk home. There is no need to send for the milk to be pasteurized or all those fancy things milk-people do to simple milk. Just bring the milk home to mama and I will do my business from henceforth, thank you. I don't know how milk straight from the cow would taste here (because cows in different country, with different diet might result in different taste), but back home, it tasted every bit of our motherland.

4. Means of transportation 

The magical and ever spacious micros and capable khalasis
- Over packed micro, yet more place for another five to ten people. I miss this! 'Nuff said.

5. Work 

Publications in ECS Media

- Looking at this brings water to my eyes. I made that Living magazine from scratch. I miss everything about the job, even though I once had thought there was no way I would want to do a behind-a-laptop-on-a-desk-in-a-cubicle kind of a job, I can't imagine what else would bring me this much satisfaction. 

6. Third home, after home and office

Cafe Soma
- I went there one day with friends for lunch and after that, you would find me there having breakfast, lunch and dinner, sitting at corners, writing and in my own world. I love this place even though they no longer have a magical mirror in their toilet which was hanging on the door; which meant whenever I took a pee, I could see myself peeing (awesome!) and for males, they would have to pee sideways to watch them pee (double awesome!) Plus, they have a very exciting and tantalizing menu and probably the only place in the entire of Nepal where I could eat beef cheese burgers without feeling like a criminal.

7. Kurthi tops 

Gimme moreeee....
- Perhaps if I wasn't a married woman who wore all significance of a married woman like red bangles,  sindor and pote, I wouldn't have discovered a certain love for kurtha but I did and wearing modern day blazer and pants only worked some days, especially when I was having serious meetings and interviews but other days, in Nepal, a married woman actually looks better in this colorful, super easy to pair up with jeans and leggings and look ultra-cool in than jeans and blouses. And  I usually used to buy the expensive varieties of this, which meant wearing them made me feel extra luxurious because of the lavish satin and silk and cotton they were made out of.

8. Everybody's family :) 

Strangers? Nope!
- I don't know if the rest ever felt this way but I always felt respected with dignity in the sea of Nepalis. And that is what only families can do. I am not saying Singaporeans didn't treat with me respect, or the Australians. It's just something else. And I miss conversing in Nepali and definitely, bargaining!

9. Tasty vegetables 

Vegetable auntie in Kalimati
- I buy ginger here at close to $24/kg. I used to buy ginger at around 80rs/kg. But I don't know how to cook anything without ginger so I buy them, still. Vegetables are so bland here. I think I got sick and tired of broccoli last night. Just thinking of it now makes me feel funny and I thought I would never get tired of the usually delicious green flower. I don't buy frozen vegetables but I am sorry, everything taste so frozen here. The only vegetable I love here is the potatoes. They are too tasty!

10. Load-shedding 

Lit candles for dark times
- Thankfully I never really suffered load shedding the worst way. My maiden home has inverter which constantly fed us with charged batteries that gave us electricity which meant, I had access to the Internet, television and all, at all times. Gentleman's home has another form of inverter that gave us light and only light but even that was sufficient because I got to know of the joys of waiting for the electricity in light, for the Internet, to charge my phone and to start my laundry and the usual. And then, the best part, when it goes off again and then comes back! Things most hate, I miss...

Alas, a closure and every day I sit here, it brings me a day closer back to home! Whoop-whoop-dee-doo! 

With love,
Genisha

No comments:

Post a Comment